Turkey Day is almost here again, and I must confess that I’ve never been a major fan. I love the time with family (see our latest Thanksgiving concoctions at left), but all the hoopla around this giant bird that takes hours to cook yet is somehow always cold by the time it gets on your fork just kills me. Why the pilgrims didn’t just drop anchor and net a couple of lobsters is beyond me.
So although the Christmas party invitations in the mail, the dog-ears all over my Macy’s catalog and the peppermint soap in my guest bathroom all but deem Thanksgiving irrelevant in my eyes, I’d still like to give thanks for my favorite little things about fall before I dive head first into Christmas:
1. Crunchy leaves – occasional damp or dirty foliage aside, there’s nothing quite like chasing down the satisfyingly crispy crunch of a perfect fall leaf.
2. Trader Joe’s pumpkin bread mix – if it requires the use of a mixing bowl you can completely get away with calling it homemade.
3. Red wine – not exclusive to fall but worth of recognition always. It’s my favorite fall color, it smells like fermented heaven, and all you have to do is call ordering pizza a “dinner party” and people bring it to your house in droves this time of year.
4. Holiday travel on Southwest Airlines – they give you drink coupons, they give you Oreos, and if you’re lucky you’ll get a crew with pilgrim hats and turkey pins.
5. Random hot beverages – I couldn’t tell you what’s in chai tea, salted caramel hot chocolate, mulled wine, or a hot toddy, but count me in for a venti.
6. Leftovers – the best meals of fall start with a leftover turkey sandwich and end with a chocolate eyeball from your month-old Halloween stash.
7. Boots – what I’ve learned living in California is that the moment the calendar reads “Autumnal Equinox,” boots are the only appropriate footwear regardless of whether pants, shorts or bikini bottoms are on the agenda.
8. Daylight Saving Time – everyone always gets a little bit happier under the delusion that this gives them one more hour of sleep, and I’m all for happiness.
9. An empty gym – it’s right about now when gym-goers hibernate until their New Year’s resolutions kick in. Enjoy the extra breathing room in yoga and free reign over the remote control.
10. Mid-season cliffhangers – my TiVo needs a holiday as much as I do.
So that’s my abridged list of fall awesomeness. What are your favorite things about fall?